Home Forums Findmypast Missing Records and other problems Viewing National Archive Records in FindMyPast

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Steph
    Participant

As some of my ancestors were in the British army in India, I have had to search records in the National Archives. This is fine if you can visit Kew but if you want to view military records online they have to be viewed through FindMyPast. In my experience, this does not work satisfactorily. If you choose one of these records, you are told to click on FindMyPast but you then have to search again in FindMyPast. Unfortunately, the TNA record numbers do not seem to work in FMP and dates, places of birth or sometimes regiments that are given in the TNA indexes are often not given in the FindMyPast indexes. This means searching through dozens of records to find what you had already found in the TNA indexes and sometimes it is impossible to find the one you want.

I have been struggling with this for some time and have emailed both FindMyPast and TNA about the problem but have had no reply.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Beverly
    Participant

Hello. There are a lot of military records at National Archives and only a selection will appear on Findmypast. Which records are you specifically trying to find? can you give an example?

Steph
    Participant

Hello Beverley

I have been looking for service records. I know that the service records of those who died in service were thrown away and service records of soldiers who were discharged early do not necessarily survive.

I have been looking at British Army Service Records.

For example, I know that George McLaughlin joined H.M. 16th Lancers as a boy in 1828. He paid for a discharge from the 16th Lancers in 1846. I have found this through the Musters. Although I have found service records of other people who were discharged, I have not found his record.

I have been looking for Timothy Callag(h)an in the 41st regiment, possibly born in 1818 in Ireland and probably discharged around 1841, but the only Callag(h)an I can find in the 41st regiment is a Thomas born in 1800. There are several other Timothy’s who were in different regiments.

If you have any ideas of how to find more information I would be grateful.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.