Home Forums Research Interests Family Trees Oliver/burke Family trees in Ceylon (Sri Lanka)

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Devorah
    Participant

Hi friends,
    i have been researching for years on any connections with olivers/burkes in sri lanka who may have some relation to me ? I found my great grandfathers on this website im only assuming they could be British because they have been published on fibis.. there is no information of where he maybe from ?

Oliver Family TREE

Alexander Burnett Oliver- came to sri lanka as a planter working from 1880-1891 the birth place unknown, but would really love to know where he is from
    died 18th june 1892 badulla Ceylon
    had 4 sons from a local woman all born between 1883-1905
    Alfred Oliver-have no information on what happened to him or his family
    Alexander Oliver-have no information on what happened to him or his family
    Duncan Oliver–have no information on what happened to him or his family
    Robert Oliver my greatgreat grandfather who married Lilian Winifred Burke died October 14th 1912 both had 2 children
    Herbert Carl Oliver born march 13th 1935 in gampola central sri lanka- my great grandfather and great grand aunt Florence Mabel Oliver birth date and death unknown

PAR-0824
    Participant

I have Ceylon/Sri Lankan planters on my family tree, but haven’t come across your family surname. My relatives were from Scotland. The best site for Scottish ancestry (bmd, wills, census records, etc) is <www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk>, although it is a paying site. The sister site for background on places is <www.scotlandsplaces.gov.uk>. This is a free site. I understand that many planters on the island were recruited from Scotland. I also know of planters working in South India who were from Australia. I hope this helps.

Devorah
    Participant

Hi there I was actually able to find where my ancestors were from they were not English but Scottish coming from a town called Inverness what is your families last name ?

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.