Home Forums Support Research questions Ludhiana District Court Sessions 1911

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    VicMar1
    Participant

Can anyone please,please help me to at least rattle my ‘brick wall’?
    In short, what I am hoping for is sight of a transcript from Court proceedings held during 21st August 1911 at Ludhiana District Sessions court ?
    The Accused was Mr (Seid) Alexander Ruff (or Ruffe) and was being tried for the attempted murder of his Wife by attempted decapitation and received 10 years hard labour “and rigorous imprisonment”

There was a subsequent appeal held at Chief Court,Punjab on 22nd Feb 1912
    His appeal claim was that he should not have been tried by the previous Indian Court because he was a European subject, he lost the appeal but was never heard of again.
    I suspect that he probably died in prison but can find no clues as to his fate.
    I am more interested in the details that were available to the appeal court in order to reject his claim of European descent.

I have found references to the appeal judgement being used as case law in other similar trials but am really looking for a full transcription of the original case in question.
    A very tall order I know but does anyone have any suggestions where I should start looking please ? Or even better,someONE who can help me find it as I live in the North of England ?

All that I know is that the judges presiding over the appeal was Hon Mr Justice Robertson and Hon Mr Justice Rattigan, Appeal # 635 of 1911.

And the Judge at original trial was Hon H A Rose esq, sessions judge,Ludhiana Division.
    held on 21st Aug 1911. Crime committed 13 June 1911

Beverly
    Participant

I am not sure where you would find court transcript but trial may have been covered in Times of India which has been digitised by PROQUEST historic newspapers – British Libraray have access in reading rooms. I found good coverage of an ancestor’s trial altho proceedings were not word for word.

VicMar1
    Participant

Thank you Beverly, your observations are very much appreciated and supports some small hope for the future possibility of visiting the British Library.
    The information that I have revealed previously was obtained by chance through a really lucky on line opportunity now closed, unfortunately.
    As stated previously,I live in the NW of England and the logistics for such a visit to the British Library would be difficult and perhaps foolish without a definitive objective ?
    I am at least encouraged to look at On Line providers of historic newspaper images and see if that might yield some clues.
    I am also considering maybe contacting a lawyer in India and enquiring whether they would have sight of such records,it would probably cost considerably less than an open ended trip to London and associated expenditure.

Beverly
    Participant

Hi again – as a FIBIS member you are entitled to use the services of the volunteer FIBIS research team to access information at the British Library. We make no charge at all for time but ask only that expenses are covered. If you would like me to check the newspapers for you then just contact me on [email protected] and let me know.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.