Home Forums Research Interests Family Trees Isn't anyone interested in Family trees in India?

Tagged: , ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author
    LIT-2236
    Participant

Can’t believe no-one wants to post at least skeleton family trees of British and/or Anglo Indian connections in India 1700s -circa 1950. Used as hints such trees are invaluable. Of course any possible connections need to be proven before accepted.
    Names in my tree include Robertson, Skinner, Solitude, Rondeau, Tolly, Walter, Moses, Sheels/Sheils, Nichol, Madden, Bowen, Lancaster, Scott, Dunbar, McKay, Bungey, Cattell, Witchlow, Kopperman, My late husband’s Tree (not connected) included Owen, Biddle, Richardson & more.

Steph
    Participant

OK then, here goes.

FitzSimon, Henry, b1800, Cadet in HEIC 1820-21, Retired (1855) Lt Col 29th N.I., married Mary O ‘Brien 1843 Calcutta
    FitzSimon, Margareta Agnes b1846 Calcutta
    FitzSimon, Henry Eustace FitzSimon b1848 Kyra
    FitzSimon, Mary Ann b1855, Jullunder
    FitzSimon, Mary Assumpta, b1858 Dublin

O ‘Brien, Edmond c1783 – d1827, Firefighter in Police in Calcutta
    Mary ? m. Edmond date and place unknown but poss England or Ireland
    O ‘Brien, Ellen b1817 m 1843 Calcutta to Joseph Burke, HM 50th Foot
    O ‘Brien, Mary Ann b1821 m Henry FitzSimon (above) 1843

Williams, John (d1842) m 1835 in London to Anne Amelia Hildreth (b1814)
    William John Williams, b1841
    Williams, Isabella, b1842? m Rev Townsend?

McLaughlin, John b1786? (Ireland or India) HM 17th Lancers, then HM 16th Lancers
    McLaughlin, George, b1812? Joined HM 16th Lancers as a “ Boy” married Anne Amelia Williams (nee Hildreth) 1843 Meerut (who was previously married to John Williams of HM 44th Foot died c1842.)
    McLaughlin, George Stevens, b1844
    McLaughlin, Rosa b1846
    McLaughlin, Reginald Heber, b1848
    McLaughlin, Frederick James, b1850, Indian Civil Service, Bangalore, retired 1892 to England with his wife and all his children.

Rosemarie
    Participant

Yes I am interested.

Vickers, John Lieut (Invalids) died 1799 Calcutta. Trying to track him back. Partner: Johannah Rozannah Saveenah at date of death four children to Kidderpore (Upper Orphan School); previously married with other children

Miller, John W (Weems, Wemyss & variations) married 1817 Margaret Vickers of Upper Orphan School Kidderpore. Also trying to track him back.

Rosemarie Ryan

Christine
    Participant

Hi, I am new to this site and my husband has Rondeau in his family tree too.This is his Grandmothers name. She married his Grandfather Alexander Young in 1918 in Calcutta.I am trying to research the name Schwartzmondel born 1873 who is Alexanders Mother.

LIT-2236
    Participant

To Christine re RONDEAU connection. Have written a reply via private message. Only know contact as “Christine”…. Where the heck do I post it?…… My code is LIT-2236 – can’t find hers/yours!

LIT-2236
    Participant

Have no idea what BBCodes are:
    To Christine ??????? answer No: 35360
    Have written a long winded reply re my sideways Rondeau connection – have no idea where it went!
    If this gets through please feel free to email me on [email protected] …….& that goes for anyone who wishes to contact me
    Jenny Little – LIT-2236

Lynne
    Participant

INTERESTS: Potter, Penrose, Kelegher, Stone

My Indian family tree is as follows:
    James Potter (merchant/shopkeeper of Bangalore) d. 1829. His children (probably born in India) were David Arthur, Joseph, Matthew, Amelia and Mark William (1825-1858).
    Mark William Potter married Mary Ann Kelegher (daughter of Timothy) in 1848 – children, James Timothy, Grace Arabella, Priscilla Amelia and William Augustus
    Amelia Priscilla Potter married William Henry Penrose in 1876 – children Augustus William, Henry Kellegher, Amy Ethel Eugenie, Frank Frederick William, James Wallis, Florence May and Reginald Arthur.
    Florence May Penrose married Charles Henry Stone in 1913 and he was connected with the Taj Motor Works at Nowshera. Their children all attended The Lawrence School, Sanwar.

Christine
    Participant

Hi,
    Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply to you about this!
    My husbands Great Grandmother was Marie Elizabeth Rondeau.
    She was born in 1905 and her fathers name was W. B. Rondeau
    so I don’t think we are looking at the same family but thank you
    for your reply!

LIT-2236
    Participant

Dear Christine, Tried answering you from the email message I got but that was denied delivery!! (How I hate the internet – learning Latin was easier!) My half Gt Gt GrandAunt was Mary Solitude b.1824. Her Mum was My 3 x Gt Grandmother Mary Robertson nee (Skinner) who died in 1826 after marrying 2nd husband James Solitude in 1821. Mary Solitude (Jnr) b. 1824 married John Richard Rondeau in 1846 & went on to have at least 6 kids – then I think she died (abt. 1862) & John Richard re-married & had more family. This is where I got to before my hubby died just 2 short yrs ago & since then I have been trying to get “his family” in order to pass on to his descendants [not mine as ours was 2nd marriage]. Before then I did more Rondeau research & although it’s not on my computor file, I have paperwork which I believe suggests that W.B.Rondeau was my John Richard’s Father & if so then possibly the much younger brother (or half brother) of your Marie Elizabeth. If this was the case then she would have been 15yrs old at the time of his birth & may already have been married herself! [13/14yrs was common at that time for a 1st marriage in India especially if they had lost a parent or two! I will try to locate the paperwork I have accumulated & see why “W.B. Rondeau” seems to jump out at me. Some seem to think that the “Rondeau” name was common back then but I suspect one family/ + step-families were prolific for a generation or so ’cause then the name seems to disappear. I have located one distant cousin in UK (I live Australia) who is descended from Mary Solitude & John Richard Rondeau, Both Marys being our common ancestors!……. Happy to continue contact – if only to eliminate dud leads!

HUD-3341
    Participant

My second GGT grandmother Mary Ann Aden (Haydon?) was born in the 1860s and married around age 16 in Bangalore to Arthur Daniel Vanderwall (bn 1860). He was a compositor (printer) and the Vanderwalls seem to have come from Madras originally. Her father is listed on the marriage record as Robert Aden. She remarried after Arthur’s death to William Tyrell Paterson in 1918 in Bangalore. Her father on the second marriage record is listed as Charles Haydon. I see that there were Haydon/Hayden families in and around Madras and Bangalore throughout the 19th century, but have run into a brick wall in tracking down Mary Ann’s birth record. Does she appear in anyone else’s research?

Alan
    Participant

Royce Allen is a direct descendant of Matilda Beatrice Vanderwall. His wife Annette manages a My Heritage Tree which may have information useful to you. Contact me for her email address if you don’t have it already.

Rosemarie
    Participant

Dear Alan I hope that your message was for me. I was asking about John Vickers who died in 1799 and John Miller who married Margaret Vickers in 1817. If the Heritage Tree wld help I wld appreciate the email address. With thanks Rosemarie

Rosemarie Ryan

Alan
    Participant

Sorry Rosemarie, the reply was for Hud-3341.
    Alan

Pia Smith
    Participant

Hi all,

I’ve been desperately trying to trace my family tree out for ages now! My next step will probably be the British Library.

My grandfather was Lovell Edward Francis Smith (he has a brother – still alive and a sister – deceased). Their parents were Edward Terence Smith & Olga Winifred Harper – married on 26th December 1931 in Bombay. Edward was born around 1890 and Olga about 1907. Olga’s father was Benjamin Harper – judging from the name I’d assume he was British and married a local girl as Olga was Indian but not sure to what degree. Edward’s father was James Smith – I hear him and Edward were from Kettering, UK. Edward & Olga lived in Kirkee and he lost half an arm at one point. I’m really at a dead end and don’t have much more info to go on, only a few photos and stories which I’m not sure how true they are!

Any advice or family on here? Do the names ring a bell? I’ve only ever been able to find their marriage so far.

Thanks,
    Pia

LIT-2236
    Participant

To Christine,
    W B Rondeau is connected to the Rondeau family which is connected to my Solitude family. Haven’t been doing this for a whikle so sorry I haven’t replied before this,
    Jenny

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.