Home Forums Support Research questions All India Sports in Calcutta 1944

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Peter
    Participant

An Aunt, now sadly passed away, wrote that her cousin stayed with her and competed in the 1944 “All India Sports” in Calcutta. This was because, unsurprisingly, the Olympic Games due to be held in London that year had clashed with an alternative event.

I’ve looked at Google to find a mention of this but came up with nothing. Does anyone have an alternative way of finding the details. I looked at the “Times of India” website but their archives don’t go back far enough.

Thanks,

Peter

Valmay
    Keymaster

I have been on a similar hunt regarding my Great Grandmother competing in the cycling. The year turned out to be 1942 and I did find references in the Times of India. See this blog post https://valmayyoung.wordpress.com/2016/08/14/muriel-wardley-cycling-in-the-1942-indian-olympic-games/

Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Peter
    Participant

Valmay,

Thank you. The London Olympics should have been held in 1944 so that may be why my Aunt gave the date for the All India Sports as 1944. I tried to get onto the Archives of the Times of India before I wrote my item but failed. Do you mean that the archive was only available because you were in the British Library or is it available to us by some other route, please?

My sporting Aunt played hockey, apparently, for the India under 21s so might well have played hockey that year. Or some other sport, of course.

Thanks,

peter

Valmay
    Keymaster

Hi Peter,

I accessed the Times of India at the British Library via ProQuest, which is available at some libraries.

My Great Grandmother was a hockey player too. I’m not sure if she played at the All India Games though. I know she was in the cycling team as I have the photos and found the newspaper articles. Further investigation is needed!

Do you have access to ProQuest?

Regards
    Valmay

Peter
    Participant

Thanks for that suggestion Valmay. I rang the local library who tapped into their Google as I asked the question ..but ‘no’ was the answer. Went onto the Proquest website where there is a list if institutions who are subscribers which included the British library and lots of universities including one near to me. A call to their library produced a ‘no access’ answer unless I was a student. So I researched short courses before I stopped myself!

Back to the Proquest web site I’ve registered for the newspaper item (Proquest seems to be a host of different areas, each requiring a separate application). I am now having to wait two days while they consider my application. My fingers are crossed!

Thank you again,

Peter

Valmay
    Keymaster

Another option is to send all the details you have to the FIBIS research coordinator, as FIBIS have volunteer researchers who visit the British Library regularly, and they can look for it for you. Email [email protected]

Peter
    Participant

Valmay,

I didn’t know that, thank you. I’ve just written to the research address. I’ll come back if it pans out!

Peter

Valmay
    Keymaster

Hope they can find something for you. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.