FIBIS are currently in need a Journal Editor. Please read the below job description and contact FIBIS Chairman Pat Scully (email: firstname.lastname@example.org) if you are interested in the position or have any questions.
The primary role of the FIBIS Editor is to put together the Journal.
The FIBIS Journal is primarily an educational and historical publication to inform and entertain members interested in family history and life in India in the days of the Raj. It is published twice per year, so the work associated with its editing can be spread out as required, to suit the editor's own availability, or if preferred, can be a concerted effort taking place over a week or so. The work is eminently suitable for flexible working. Moreover, it is very interesting and varied work, where the Editor is in the fortunate position of learning whilst working, constantly being updated by reading the first-hand research and experiences of other people with similar interests and objectives. The role is well-supported by other FIBIS members who are always helpful and willing to lend a hand, contribute knowledge and expertise and generally are ready to step in wherever required.
Being Editor of the FIBIS Journal is a responsible position, but one is not alone. There is a strong team ethos behind the organisation and help is always available when needed.
- To receive, select and edit articles contributed for the journal.
- To proof-read the short-listed articles/material and edit where appropriate.
- To format the Journal, arranging articles in a coherent and interesting form and updating the information regularly contained (positions held by Trustees etc. usually on an annual basis)
- To liaise with the Printing company and the proof-reader, so that the material contained in the Journal is correct and ready to be printed according to an agreed timetable.
- To send out complimentary copies of the Journal (a list is provided). Members' copies, which form the bulk of the mailings, are sent out by the Printer.
In order to perform the role successfully, a good level of I.T. and literacy skills are required.
Occasionally, there is a need to update or to arrange reprints of other FIBIS materials, such as the Welcome Pack or Fact Files. Updates are done by the authors themselves, and the Editor will simply contact the Printing company and arrange for the work to be done.
The Editor normally becomes a Trustee of the FIBIS charity and, as such, attends Trustees' meetings every two months, held at the British Library. There are also public meetings: an Open meeting held in the Spring and an AGM held in November each year on a Saturday, also an "Away Day", held mid week usually in August.