Home Forums Lost and found Lost Ancestors Missing Ranger

Tagged: 

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Tainturier
    Participant

I am searching for Farrier Major Philip Ranger in order to take my family tree back a generation. I’ve spent three entire days trawling through the archives at the British Library with no luck.

I know that he was in the 1st Bombay Lancers/1st regiment cavalry from at least 1824 – 1852. I am aware that he died at Neemuch in 1852 and was a Farrier Major at the time. He was not an officer so I cannot track down any information about him from military records (I’ve checked the muster records thoroughly) at the British Library. I did note on his burial that he was buried by a Lt F Locke in his regiment in the absence of the chaplain, so checked the Muster roll on which that Lt. does appear, confirming that I’m looking in the right place.

He had three children, Elizabeth b.1833 (I can’t find a birth for her but Philip is listed on her marriage to anther Bombay Lancer Daniel Smith) Joseph (b.1831) and James (b.1837). Mother listed on Joseph’s birth is Ann Maria and on Elizabeth and James is Mary. I think they are likely to be the same people. Curiously, both sons were apothecaries in European military establishments and appear in the suboordinate personnel lists. I have a coveted photograph of his son James, and he most definitely looks to be of Anglo-Indian origin.

There is no record of Philip’s marriage anywhere official, but I’m convinced he married in India due to an announcement in the Asiatic Journal which advertises his marriage in 1824 to Maria De Cruz, daughter of Senhor Joze De Cruz. No other info is provided. I’m not sure whether he was born in the UK or India.

I see from records on FIBIS that he’s buried a Neemuch Cemetary.

Having trawled through all of the births from the 1700’s to the 1820’s in all areas of India, at the British Library, there are no other Rangers born at the same time, so they are a mystery.

I’m trying to find any or all information/leads n anybody above and to try to get me through the brick wall that old Phil has built for me.

Many thanks for any thoughts in advance 🙂

BEN-0767
    Participant

Hi,

Farrier Major Phillip Ranger is listed on the medal roll of the 1st Bombay Light Cavalry for the 1848/1849 Punjab medal. He is shown as being entitled to the Mooltan and Chillianwala clasps on his medal reflecting that he took part in each of those battles.

Unfortunately, my copy of the medal roll for the 1st Bombay Light Cavalry (Lancers) for the 1838-39 Ghuznee medal is incomplete, so I can’t confirm if Phillip Ranger served with the regiment during the battle for Ghuznee, the other battle he most likely would have served in. Nevertheless, given the dates you listed for his service with the regiment, I strongly suspect he was also entitled to the medal for Ghuznee.

Interestingly, on the Punjab medal roll for the 1st Bombay Light Cavalry there is also a Joseph Ranger listed, with the “rank” of Hospital Apprentice. Joseph Ranger was also entitled to the Mooltan and Chillianwala clasps to his medal. Given they were serving in the same regiment, I strongly suspect they were related.

I realize this information is not much help with your brick wall but I hope it is of some help in developing a picture of Phillip’s life.

Tim B.

Tainturier
    Participant

Hi Tim,

Firstly, thank you SO much for your reply … I was starting to think that Philip was a figment of my imagination!

Joseph is actually the son from whom my line is descended so amazing to know more about him. I had no idea that he too had been part of the military.

I’m not overly familiar with the records… Do you think they would have copies of the ones you mention and perhaps the missing records at the British Library?
    If so, what are they specifically titled? So I request the right thing!

Also, I’m putting together a little “our family” booklet for grandparents… I wondered whether you might be able to send me a picture of the page where Philip and Joseph are mentioned so that I can include this. My email address is [email protected] if you are able to.
    Again, thank you so much…. I am delighted!

Charlotte

Hi,

Farrier Major Phillip Ranger is listed on the medal roll of the 1st Bombay Light Cavalry for the 1848/1849 Punjab medal. He is shown as being entitled to the Mooltan and Chillianwala clasps on his medal reflecting that he took part in each of those battles.

Unfortunately, my copy of the medal roll for the 1st Bombay Light Cavalry (Lancers) for the 1838-39 Ghuznee medal is incomplete, so I can ‘t confirm if Phillip Ranger served with the regiment during the battle for Ghuznee, the other battle he most likely would have served in. Nevertheless, given the dates you listed for his service with the regiment, I strongly suspect he was also entitled to the medal for Ghuznee.

Interestingly, on the Punjab medal roll for the 1st Bombay Light Cavalry there is also a Joseph Ranger listed, with the “ rank” of Hospital Apprentice. Joseph Ranger was also entitled to the Mooltan and Chillianwala clasps to his medal. Given they were serving in the same regiment, I strongly suspect they were related.

I realize this information is not much help with your brick wall but I hope it is of some help in developing a picture of Phillip ‘s life.

Tim B.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.