Home Forums Support Research questions Finding a Record referenced in FIBIS DB – Help Please

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Sue036
    Participant

Hi,

I have found a reference in the database to a record of interest, but for the life of me I cannot find it on FMP or anywhere else. I am probably missing something obvious and hope someone can help me.

When I search the database for ‘Stephen Robson’ it returns two hits. One of them is a record I already have. The other is this:-

Entry from Applications for Cadetships in the EIC Armies (Index)
    Surname Robson
    IOR Ref: L/MIL/9/118
    Season(s) 1808-09
    LDS Film No. 1951711

It also says that ‘Images of these records are viewable at findmypast.’

Full details are in the attached file.

I cannot find this on FMP, neither by searching for the name nor by inspecting their A-Z of records.

I cannot find any reference to the LDS film number on familysearch.

I also cannot find anything about this in the BL catalogue or via the BL India Office FH search.

Hoping someone can point me in the right direction?

Thanks for any assistance.

Sue

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Sue036
    Participant

Hang on, I have now found the images on FMP! My mistake was in searching under military records and looking for the 1808-1809 date when this is actually held as a baptism record with a date of 1788! Luckily, when in desperation I searched just for the name, it was on the first page of the 14,404 results. Still not sure what I ought to have been doing to find it, though?

Sue

Valmay
    Keymaster

Hi Sue,

You didn ‘t do anything wrong. Findmypast have the Cadet Papers in with all the baptism records for some reason. We pointed this out to them several years ago and suggested the logical place for them is in with Military Records, but they aren ‘t interested in moving them. They said that people will find them by searching so they aren ‘t worried!

Life is lived forwards, but understood backwards.

Sue036
    Participant

Ah, thank you for explaining that. It’s fair to say that the cadet papers do contain baptism records, but they contain a lot of other information as well.

Sue

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.