Home Forums Research Interests Family Trees Calcutta, St.John's Cemetery, Sealdah

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    MOO-3196
    Participant

I know, because I have the certified copy of the DC from the UK that a clutch of forebears are buried in Calcutta at St.John’s cemetery. I recall,vividly, visiting their graves in the late 1950’s and having to push our way through rusted metal gates into an enclosed area chock full of tombs some of which were spookily broken open. Also there was a high wall which I believe formed part of the elevated plateau upon which Sealdah railway station was built.The whole cemetery was thick with soot and dirt (Steam engine days) and was quite confined.
    So the question if anyone has the answer is where is that Cemetery now? I look at google maps and cannot find it and the St.Johns church next door to SEaldah Station is rather well set up and not at all like I remember. Any thoughts?
    Thanks

Chris

Beverly
    Participant

Hi there …my ancestors also buried at this cemetery – unfortunately I have not visited. I have a letter from the priest there which verifies the grave ..it reads as if the cemetery is adjacent to the church as the grave is on the left hand side “as you enter St Johns Church by the north gate”

Beverly

Andrea Barlow
    Participant

Hi, I visited this Cemetery in March this year. It is adjacent to the church, and enclosed. It is quite well kept. The Priest was very helpful. He has a map of the cemetery which he showed us and he took us and showed us around the cemetery.

Andrea Barlow
    Participant

A couple of photos!

MOO-3196
    Participant

Hello Andrea and thank you for your response. The promise of photos was unfortunately not fulfilled, at least I haven’t found them yet, but if perchance you didn’t send and meant to could you try again.
    The back story on the cemetery is that great and Gt.Gt.Grand parents are here. Somewhere I’ve got a photo of the cemetery, the graves at least, taken by my Mother who was possibly one of the great failed photographers of the last century so its not very good. The graves were in fact tombs, no grass. Many years after my last visit somebody, unknown, contacted my Aunt asking permission to re-use the grave plot. My Aunt never informed either of her 2 sisters but simply agreed it would be OK. I don’t know if that went ahead.
    The association with India starts, so far, in the 1780’s with the arrival on the record of a Mr.Noney who claims Italian origin but later in another census Claims Irish origin. Sounds like an “illegal” to me but the family stuck it out till the later1940’s
    Thanks for your response and good hunting with your own quest.
    Chris Mooney

MOO-3196
    Participant

Thanks Beverly, its all a bit disconcerting as enquiries made many years ago by somebody my Mother had commissioned specifically to go to the cemetery reported the gates locked and chained with nobody knowing how to gain entrance. It was quite some time ago so I guess that even in India things can change for the better.I am wrestling with the idea of a return trip to Calcutta (after 60 years) except that a well travelled friend of mine pointed out that she knows more people with life changing issues as a result of visiting India than “Normal” ones so she might have a point. Still there’s always private medical insurance and 5 star hotels so it can’t be too bad!
    Thanks again for your info.

Beverly
    Participant

It is interesting to hear that Andrea has visited the cemetery and that it was well kept and she was able to gain access. It would be lovely to see the photos which have not appeared here – are you able to email them to me – [email protected]

Beverly

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.