Home Forums Research Interests Family Trees Aden family in Bangalore

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    HUD-3341
    Participant

I am searching for information about my great-great-grandmother Mary Ann Aden (born 1867 died 1936 Bangalore). She married Arthur Daniel Vanderwall in 1883 Bangalore. His family was in the Madras and Bangalore area, and can be traced back to the 1820s when Cornelius Vanderwall was a Dresser (medic) with the Madras Army. While spotty at times, the British Library records allow me to reconstruct a plausible family tree for the Vanderwalls. I’ve attached the results of our research into the Vanderwalls at the BL. However, Mary Ann has proven to be much harder.
    Mary Ann Aden appears as Arthur ‘s wife in their marriage record. We were unable to find a birth or baptism record for anyone with close to this name or the age most likely to have married Arthur. On the 1883 record, her father’s name is listed as Robert Aden.
    There is a Mrs. Vanderwall living in the Bangalore Cantonment between 1907 and 1909, which is most likely Mary Ann living alone as a widow. We believe that she may have remarried in 1918 as “Mary Vanderwall widower” presumably after Arthur’s death. On the second marriage record, her trade is listed as nurse, but if it ‘s the same person, her father is named as Charles Haydon.
    We looked through the records for mentions of the Aden family, and then families with names which might have sounded similar (Hadden, Haydon,Hayden). While not a common name, the Aden family appears in Madras records throughout the 19th century and through to the end of British rule.
    For example, Mary Ann Aden is the name of a Roman Catholic orphan in Madras on a baptism record dated 30 March 1844. While tantalising, this woman would be 20 years older than our Mary Ann (potentially a mother or other relative?).
    James William Aden 1848-1943 who died in Bangalore was a buglar in the Reserve Police .
    James Aden (bn 1858) was baptised on 3 September 1865 at the age of 10 at St. Thomas Church in Madras (St. Uromie Native Congregational Registers). His father was listed as William Aden and his mother as Mariamma. His father’s trade was listed as “fife major pensioner” resident at Royapettah which is a central district of Madras.
    The same record show that William Aden and Mariamma had another son Jeremiah Augustene Aden and a daughter Sarah both baptised at the same time as their brother James.
    Sarah Aden (age 17) was married in April 1880 to a 45 year old widower clerk named Edward Godfrey Greene at Christ Church, Mount Road, Madras. Both were listed as resident in the city.
    Another child of James William Aden, his son Albert James Victor Aden, was born in 1901 and baptised in 1902. The mother’s name is Priscilla on the record.
    Jane Aden 1891-1918 was buried in Madras, and her burial record lists her father as James William Aden (above).
    George Aden (bn 1923) married age 21 to Eneid (age 15) at Bangalore St. Francis Xavier in 1944.
    Josephine M. Aden married in 1946 Richard H. Browne at Bangalore St. Patrick Catholic church.
    There are many records for families with similar sounding names: Haydon, Hadden, Hayden, but I ‘m at a loss to disentangle any lines that would lead to Mary Ann “ Aden” in 1867.

Any ideas?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.