The 2nd edition of our very popular FIBIS Guide 2 -Â British Ships in Indian Waters is more than half as big again as the 1st edition with more information about the East India Companyâ€™s ships after the end of the Companyâ€™s monopoly in 1831. It includes two New sections:
- Activities of the Shipping Committee;
- Marine Correspondence:
- Incoming letters and petitions;
- Court of Directors
- Committee ResolutionsOutgoing letters
- Other matters – including:
- Coverage of the Companyâ€™s Extra Ships
- Use of Lascar Seamen and the Companyâ€™s concern for their welfare.
The Guide also throws a strange light on the way Country Ships could morph into ships of the Danish Company and back again.
In addition, the British Library has renumbered some of their records and the new edition reflects the numbers now in use. All the new material is illustrated by examples from the different documents which gives an authentic feeling for the Men and the Ships.
We hope you enjoy this addition to our publication and that it helps you with your family research.
Richard Morgan will also be at our Open Meeting this Saturday, so if you havenâ€™t booked a place book one now!