FIBIS are changing the way members submit their research interests. Not only has the list we maintain for our members become too big to update on a regular basis, but technology and our website have improved over the years, so we are introducing a more efficient and hopefully better method. We are now asking members to add their research interests to their profile page where they can update and maintain their research interests themselves and contact other members directly rather than via the membership secretary.
Once members have added their interests to their profile they become clickable links, similar to the way they do in a Facebook profile, and produce a list of other members that have added the same interest to their profile when clicked. Adding your interests to your profile also means it will get picked up when searching the members directory page.
The old members’ research interests list in the FIBIS database has just had its final update and will be deleted at the end of the year, so can members please take a moment to add their interests to their profile page before then. If you aren’t sure how to add your interests to your profile here are some instructions, but please feel free to contact me if you need any help.
How to add your interests to your profile
- Go to your profile page. (http://www.fibis.org/members/YOUR_USERNAME/)
- Click on the ‘Profile‘ link.
- Click ‘Edit‘.
- Scroll down to the ‘Surname interests‘ box.
- List your surname interests in this box separated by commas (ie Collett, Duncan, Holdway). Once saved they will become a clickable link that, when clicked, will produce a list of members that have added the same interests as you.
- Do the same in the ‘Other interests‘ box if you have any.
- Click ‘Save Changes‘.
How to search other members’ interests
There are two ways you can search members interests
1. If you have added you interests using the above method then you can simply click on one of your interests and it will produce a list of other members that have entered the same interest in their profile. You can then contact that member via their profile page by sending them a public of private message.
2. Go to the page that lists all members directory page via the horizontal menu above (Members area > Members ) http://www.fibis.org/members/ and enter your interest in the search box and click Search.